Stephen Buckner, Center for New Media and Promotions, U.S. Census Bureau
The U.S. Census Bureau has launched a newly redesigned census.gov homepage.
This is the first of several steps in a progressive series of enhancements to census.gov over the next year to make our content more accessible, useful, comprehensible and interesting to the broadest possible audience. Our goal is to make it easier for visitors to reach their desired destination, increase user satisfaction, and expand the public’s understanding of how the Census Bureau measures America’s people, places and economy.
Some of the new features and tools users will experience are:
- A prominent dashboard featuring our economic indicators
- A top dropdown menu for quick navigation to key topics
- A new interactive map showing a mash up of economic and demographic statistics
- A “Stat of the Day” highlighting Census Bureau statistics across all the data we collect
- A “mega footer” with links categorized under familiar topics and highly trafficked pages
- A feature for users to provide feedback
- More prominent placement of our latest releases
We hope the public will gain greater accessibility to our statistics through both their desktops and mobile devices. Also, users will eventually see improved search and navigation, thematic pages and additional features.
If you have any comments, please click on the “Tell us what you think” section on the homepage.