Japan suffered a devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami. While it’s too soon to know what repercussions this may have on U.S. trade, I decided to look at how Japan played a role in the trade figures in 2010.
- In 2010, Japan was the 4th largest trading partner (exports and imports) by dollar value.
- Japan was the largest importer of U.S. wheat (non-durum) and corn (non-seed) by dollar value in 2010.
- Over the last five years (2006-2010), Japan has the third largest growth rate at over 31% for U.S. soybeans.
- Japan was the 2nd largest supplier of television and video cameras to the U.S. in 2010.
- While the 2nd largest supplier of new passenger cars and vehicles, Japan was the largest supplier of mid-size cars to the U.S. in 2010.
Source: US Trade Online